1. Kauai was by far the best island and the North Shore was the most civilized place to be. That said it cost us 5 weeks of budget to spend one week there, and we ate a lot of PB&J.
2. Accusations of Barack Obama not being Christian or American are completely absurd. You cannot take two steps backward on any island without tripping and falling into a pile of Jesus. On said topic, while eagerly awaiting Rapture, Jehovah Witnesses are not at all opposed to participating in the adopt a highway program.
3. Hawaii has a symptomatic winter. I also had no idea about Hawaiian geography so our hopping wasn’t very efficient. I am slightly encouraged by the bound-for-an-Oscar-or-two, “Descendents” really bungling it up too. Even with all those on-site logisticians they still managed to film an inter-island red-eye with people sleeping. Hmm.
4. People are really kind to one another when they live in Nature’s splendor. We borrowed a set of jumper cables from lifeguards to pep up the flagging “Greatest Hits,” (our rental truck: see next photo set) and were invited to a lovely Christmas feast put together by our landlord, which was sorely needed to pluck up our spirits. A Security Guard taught us the mechanics of freedive spearfishing while we awaited our flight, and we (specifically Sam) made many a “hop-ons” day by treating the bed of “The Greatest Hits” as a hitchhiker’s bus.
5. Finally, it was a good idea to ease back into American living while chasing the winter sun in Hawaii. We are very much looking forward to piecing our lives in NYC back together. Thank you to all our followers for keeping an eye on us. There will be a bit more coming in the next couple days/weeks while we dig out, but I hope we haven’t been too boring :)